Thursday, May 21, 2009

DESIGNS I LIKE

Thanks to the advent of blog posting, I've become a big fan of its intuitive format. Just give me a headline and words and I'll figure the rest out for myself. Hell it doesn;t even have to have images. It can be all text-based.

This is a far cry from the early internet website design, where animated gifs were practically required. Much like arcade games, webite designs figured the flashiest things would be most attractive to the passer-by. But now we have the Sophisticate Internet!

A good example of a Sophisticated website is the Gothamist. However, I'm going to talk about Brooklyn Vegan instead because he's a hard working guy and he deserves it.

Brooklyn Vegan is a cool music blog run by one dude, and it's all about music news and particularly that news which is related to the New York area. The blog design is classic: each post is headed with a telling photo, and then there's a bunch of text underneath that follows journalism standards pretty strictly. It's an appealing design to me because it's very simple to follow and easy to navigate. Band names are bolded so you can skip to who you'd like to see, and there are highlights running down the side of the page. The only thing I dislike is how difficult it may be to find something in the archives, but Google helps solve that. The end!

No comments:

Post a Comment